Amanda-Users

Re: Backup startegy help

2004-12-23 08:53:45
Subject: Re: Backup startegy help
From: Shai Ayal <shaia AT biocontrol.co DOT il>
To: Gerhard den Hollander <gdenhollander AT fugro-jason DOT com>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 15:33:24 +0200
OK, you can all stop laughing at me calling 80GB Huge. Sorry.

Anyway, we do have a 80/160GB DLT tape. However I do not like it for 2 reasons: 1. Our previous 40/80 DLT tape let us down and the tape got eaten by the tape drive at the most critical time. 2. Irrespective of the tape reliability, someone has to change the tape each day, since a tape changer is clearly way out of our budget. Knowing the people here, and me in particular, this won't happen.

This is why a daily disk drive backup is attractive to us. We are content with having just 14 days of history. each week we will also do a tape backup for off site storage.

As for the strategy -- If I have some (OK, not HUGE) body of data that is unchanging by definition, I would like Amanda to do one level 0, and then continue with lower levels until this becomes unpractical (i.e. sizeof(level 1) ~ sizeof(level 0) ). I would only need to keep the level 0 and 14 level 1's to have a 14 days day by day history. This is almost what Amanda does, only there is a dumpcycle limit in days. Can this be done ?

        Shai

Gerhard den Hollander wrote:
Shai wrote:

I'm trying to set up an backup system in our company. We have two
major file systems to backup - one is the homedirs of everyone,
including mail in Maildir format, and the other is data.

Our idea was to have two computers -- one would hold the data and
homes, and the other would back it up daily to a disk.
Additionally, once a week or so we would to a tape backup to take
off site.

May I suggest that in stead of buying a second computer, you invest in an
LTO drive (can back up 100G uncompressed) and now that LTO3 has hit the
market LTO1 drives are relatively cheap.
Then buy 10 (or preferably 20) additional tapes .

Then setup amanda to make daily backups.

Given that you now have a drive that holds 100G I would strongly recommend
to use amanda's default way of doing things for both data and home.

The data is quite huge and it is often updated but only in small
amounts, i.e. we have about 80GB of data, and we add less than 300MB
each week. Clearly doing a full backup every week is very wasteful.

;) It's refreshing to see peopel refer to 80G of data as HUGE ;)

Kind regards,
 --
Gerhard den Hollander                           Phone :+31-10.280.1515
Global ICT manager Direct:+31-10.280.1539 Fugro-Jason Fax :+31-10.280.1511 gdenhollander AT Fugro-Jason DOT com POBox 1573 visit us at http://www.Fugro-Jason.com 3000 BN Rotterdam JASON.......#1 in Reservoir Characterization The Netherlands

solely for the use of the addressee. This e-mail shall not be deemed binding
unless confirmed in writing. If you have received it by mistake, please let us
know by e-mail reply and delete it from your system; you may not copy this
message or disclose its contents to anyone. Please note that any views or
opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author and do not
necessarily represent those of the company. E-mail transmission cannot be
guaranteed to be secure or error-free. The sender therefore does not accept
liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which
arise as a result of e-mail transmission.

--
Shai Ayal, Ph.D.
Head of Research