Amanda-Users

Re: troubleshot getting Amanda to work on a remote host

2004-12-20 11:13:16
Subject: Re: troubleshot getting Amanda to work on a remote host
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Gil Naveh <gnaveh AT cleverex DOT com>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 15:57:34 +0100
Gil Naveh wrote:
Frank, thanks much for your help but,
I tried to resolve the hostname in the .amandahost file both in the server
and client machines. I even wrote the IP address in both .amandahosts client
and server but it did not work.

You don't need to resolve the hostname. *Amanda* needs to resolve the hostname, and that resolution needs to be consistant with what
the other side pretends to be.

Any other suggestions how to troubleshot it?
I have two ideas: can it be a firewall issue?
Or since those machines are not directly connected there are a few host
between which the Amanda client does not recognize?

For standalone machines, put it in the file /etc/hosts, and make
sure your /etc/nsswitch.conf file is correctly configired.

When I tries to run amcheck from the server to the remote client I get the
following error message:
"ERROR: hostname: [addr 38.128.57.138: hostname lookup failed]"

Any ideas on how to troubleshot it. - Is it a network problem? yet, I can
ping, ftp, ssh to the remote machine. Or did I miss something when I
configure Amanda?

When the server connects to the client, the client tries to
resolve the connection source IP to see if it matches any of
the hostnames in your amandahosts file.  Evidently your client
machine can't resolve 38.128.57.138 into a hostname, so the
connection is refused.

I couldn't explain it any better :-)

Frank