Amanda-Users

Re: troubleshot getting Amanda to work on a remote host

2004-12-17 17:41:53
Subject: Re: troubleshot getting Amanda to work on a remote host
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Gil Naveh <gnaveh AT cleverex DOT com>, Amanda-Users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 16:35:24 -0600
--On Friday, December 17, 2004 17:19:44 -0500 Gil Naveh <gnaveh AT cleverex DOT
com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a local server and a remote client, both run Oracle 9.
> When I tries to run amcheck from the server to the remote client I get the
> following error message:
> "ERROR: hostname: [addr 38.128.57.138: hostname lookup failed]"
>
> Any ideas on how to troubleshot it. - Is it a network problem? yet, I can
> ping, ftp, ssh to the remote machine. Or did I miss something when I
> configure Amanda?

When the server connects to the client, the client tries to
resolve the connection source IP to see if it matches any of
the hostnames in your amandahosts file.  Evidently your client
machine can't resolve 38.128.57.138 into a hostname, so the
connection is refused.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673