Amanda-Users

Re: dumps delayed

2004-12-17 14:10:55
Subject: Re: dumps delayed
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: vicki AT progeny DOT com, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 13:05:12 -0600
--On Friday, December 17, 2004 13:35:17 -0500 vicki AT progeny DOT com wrote:

> I am running Amanda on a network that I administer. I don't have a lot
> of Amanda experience, having always used afio scripts that I wrote. I
> inherited this backup config and am trying to get up to speed on it. I
> see several of these messages stating that the dump is being delayed.
> Obviously I want to ensure that the dump eventually makes it to tape. Is
> there an amanda command to tell me this?
>
> planner: Dump larger than tape: full dump of
> +mymachine:/home delayed.

If your dumps have grown larger than the size of a tape, they will
never get done, since Amanda doesn't split a single dump to multiple
tapes.  Possibly your dump size is hovering at the tape size and some
days it might fit on a tape, in which Amanda will do the full dump
then since it is overdue, but unless you know the large size is
transient you should be proactive on making sure it will always be
backed up in the future.
   You can either split that large disklist entry into multiple
dumps (will require using GNU tar instead of dump to backup
subdirectories) or try the patches in development to allow spanning
tapes that some here are testing.
  Also, make sure that the length defined in your tapetype definition
matches the tape you are currently using.  If the previous admin upgraded
tape lengths or format and forgot to update the tapetype, Amanda may not
realize that the dump will actually fit.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673