Amanda-Users

Re: dumps delayed

2004-12-17 14:07:54
Subject: Re: dumps delayed
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 13:59:32 -0500
On Fri, Dec 17, 2004 at 01:35:17PM -0500, Vicki Stanfield wrote:
> I am running Amanda on a network that I administer. I don't have a lot
> of Amanda experience, having always used afio scripts that I wrote. I
> inherited this backup config and am trying to get up to speed on it. I
> see several of these messages stating that the dump is being delayed.
> Obviously I want to ensure that the dump eventually makes it to tape. Is
> there an amanda command to tell me this?
>
> planner: Dump larger than tape: full dump of
> +mymachine:/home delayed.

Amanda has a hard and fast rule - at least for now.
Every entitiy that is being backed up, called in
amanda terminology a DiskList Entry (DLE) must
fit onto the backup medium.

Thus, that DLE, mymachine:/home, will never be
backed up in its present configuration.

A common way to handle the situation is to
split /home into multiple DLE's, maybe
/home/[a-g]*, /home/[h-n]*, ...

See many past postings about doing this with
gnutar.  There are also examples in the
disklist example file.

jl
 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)