Amanda-Users

Re: Configuration Doubts

2004-12-10 13:28:56
Subject: Re: Configuration Doubts
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 13:23:30 -0500
On Fri, Dec 10, 2004 at 11:00:25AM -0300, Fabricio Luiz Machado wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  I´m doing some tests with a new strategy, but I´m a little confuse.
>
> STRATEGY:
> Sundays: full backup (level 0)
> Monday-Saturday: incremental backup

The problem is less with your command of English, which is fine,
and more with insufficient reading of the amanda literature.

Amanda was specifically designed to "NOT" work that way.
It can be forced to work that way against its design
but it is recommended that you first try and see if
amanda's design doesn't work as well or better for you.

Instead of large, weekly level zero dumps, amanda was
designed to do a mixture of level zero and incrementals
each backup run.  Some disklist entries (DLEs) get thier
level 0's today, other tomorrow, others ...

The intention is to balance the backup load and tape
usage to be consistant from one run to the next.

> AMANDA.CONF:
> dumpcycle 1 weeks
> runspercycle 7
> tapecycle 7 tapes
> labelstr "^TEST[0-9][0-9]*$"
>
>  The problem is that after tape labeled "TEST07", amanda expects
> "TAPE01"

Which is exactly what this configuration says, it says you have
at least seven tapes in rotation (tapecycle 7).  Note it is a
rotation, so after the last one is used amanda expects to start
over again.  However, even if amanda expects tape "TEST01", it
will always accept a "new" tape such as "TEST08".  The tapecycle
is a minimum number of tapes in rotation.

>  I want to get the tape writed on last sunday in month for a "monthly"
> backup and put it in a safe.
>
>  How can modify amanda.conf to do that ?

You can use amadmin to set the TEST01 tape to "noreuse" status.  Then it
can be removed permanentaly or temporarily from the rotation.  But it
must be replaced by another tape to keep the tapecycle at "7" or higher.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)