Amanda-Users

Re: DLT1 Tape drive performance...

2004-11-06 16:25:49
Subject: Re: DLT1 Tape drive performance...
From: Dan Brown <monkeypants AT shaw DOT ca>
To: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2004 15:40:55 -0600
Paul Bijnens wrote:
Dan Brown wrote:

I adjusted the tapebufs setting from 20 to 128, and the DLT drive now writes for around 10 seconds before stopping and seeking. I've adjusted it to 256 to see what happens once I need to flush the holding disk again. I think because of the fact the holding disk is mounted via NFS I may increase this to 512 (16MB) or higher to see what sort of threshold it has.

Make is as large as possible (if you have the RAM available).
I'm interested in the results of changing tapebufs too.

It certainly helps but indeed the big bottleneck from the NFS drive is either network speed or IDE performance. My guess is probably network performance. I decided to waste a backup tape (by not fully using it) and discovered with the changed settings that at most the drive will now write for 30 seconds, rewind a bit, then sit idle for around 5 seconds while the buffers fill. I'll have to see if I some more performance out of the network another way.