Amanda-Users

DLT1 Tape drive performance...

2004-11-03 14:54:23
Subject: DLT1 Tape drive performance...
From: Dan Brown <monkeypants AT shaw DOT ca>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2004 13:50:51 -0600
I've never really thought about this before until I had our DLT drive sitting
beside our desk during some renovations. What should the average DLT1 tape
drive perform like during backup?
Ours happens to be a Lacie DLT1 (a Quantum DLT1 in a LaCie enclosure basically)
which is used to backup approximately 120GB of data twice a week off of our two
servers (~60GB each).  It is attached to one of the servers.

During a backup, or a flush, the tape drive writes data for 4 seconds, then
rewinds for 1 second, then writes for 4 seconds, then rewinds for 1 second, etc.
This seems like a good way to wear out a drive.

I also have a DDS backup drive which backs up a number of Mac machines around
the office using Retrospect.  This machine writes data in a single stream, and
only ever seems to pause when it switches to the next machine, verifies data,
or seeks specific data on a tape.

Now this is a bit of a comparison of apples and oranges but should a DLT1 be
able to write a near continuous backup stream rather than this apparent write
4->seek 1, write 4->seek 1 cycle during backups and flushes?

Any suggestions on optimizing settings?
Here are my drive configs (minus stuff about logs, users, etc):

inparallel 4
dumporder "BTBT"
netusage  9600 Kbps
dumpcycle 4 weeks
runspercycle 20
tapecycle 5 tapes
dtimeout 1800
ctimeout 30
tapebufs 20
runtapes 1
tapedev "/dev/nst0"
rawtapedev "/dev/null"
holdingdisk hd1 {
    comment "main holding disk"
    directory "/var/amanda/dumps"
    use -1 Gb
    chunksize 0
}
reserve 45

define tapetype DLT1 {
    comment "DLT1 tape drives"
    length 40960 mbytes         # 40 Gig tapes
    filemark 4000 kbytes        # I don't know what this means
    speed 2814 kbytes           # 3.5 Mb/s
}

define dumptype high-tar-comp {
   root-tar
   comment "partitions dumped with tar, compressed with gzip"
   priority high
   compress client best
   index yes
   exclude list "/etc/amanda/exclude.gtar"