Amanda-Users

Re: DLT1 Tape drive performance...

2004-11-05 00:50:42
Subject: Re: DLT1 Tape drive performance...
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 00:38:13 -0500
On Thu, Nov 04, 2004 at 05:38:13PM -0600, Dan Brown wrote:

> This may be a problem then as the IDE holding disk is NFS mounted from a
> third machine.   The server with the backup is a SCSI only system and
> doesn't support IDE.  It was worth neither the cost of an expensive SCSI
> drive (+$700CDN / 80GB?!) nor even a $60IDE card for that matter.  When
> we get our next server I'll convince the people with the money to move
> to SATA based servers.  A tape library would be nice eventually too.
>
> Will adjusting the tapetype help at all to speed up or slow down the
> drive or is that only a rated write speed like CDR/RW (the CDs, not the
> burners) are rated to maximum speeds before data corruption starts to occur?

No adjustment to tapetype I'm aware of would do anything for shoeshining.

Specifically, the speed parameter (I suspect that is what you are thinking
of changing) is not needed or used by amanda.  It merely is printed by the
tapetype program because it is an interesting bit of info for the SA and
the numbers to calculate it are available after a tapetype run.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)