Amanda-Users

Re: debugging chg-scsi

2004-11-04 17:20:41
Subject: Re: debugging chg-scsi
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: Christoph Scheeder <christoph.scheeder AT scheeder DOT de>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 17:12:59 -0500
On Thursday 04 November 2004 14:37, Christoph Scheeder wrote:
>Hi again,
>you need WRITE-permisions on the sg-device-nodes to issue commands
> to the devices, but your listing only shows read and execute
> permisions. mine look like
>
>crw-rw---- 1 root backup 21, 0 Aug 28 2000 /dev/sg0
>crw-rw---- 1 root backup 21, 1 Aug 28 2000 /dev/sg1
>crw-rw---- 1 root backup 21, 2 Aug 28 2000 /dev/sg2

I probably shouldn't jump in here, but are you aware that some
changers actually have the changer robot at the same scsi address,
but at the next higher LUN?  I ask, because the default kernels
shipped with redhat, do not scan all LUNs on bootup to save time.  In
the event thats the case, you'll have to recompile the kernel after
turning that option on.

If thats not related, ignore me :)

<eric AT cirr DOT com> wrote:
>>>        One thing that chg-scsi seems to need, and I didn't see
>>>in the configuration file, is a non-blocking control device for
>>>the tape drive, in addition to the blocking device node used for
>>>writes..  On linux, the sg* device corresponding to the tape
>>>drive is a good one to try.  On NetBSD, the `enrst?' device is
>>>the one to use..
>>
>> Hrm - interesting I'm on linux.  I had been using /dev/sg1 as the
>> changer device and /dev/nst0 as the DLT drive.  See here:
>>
>> lpdlnx00 dev # ls -la sg*
>> lr-xr-xr-x  1 root root 36 Oct 29 01:56 sg0 ->
>> scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/generic
>> lr-xr-xr-x  1 root disk 36 Oct 29 01:56 sg1 ->
>> scsi/host1/bus0/target1/lun0/generic
>> lr-xr-xr-x  1 root root 36 Oct 29 01:56 sg2 ->
>> scsi/host1/bus0/target3/lun0/generic
>>
>> and...
>>
>> lpdlnx00 dev # cat /proc/scsi/scsi
>> Attached devices:
>> Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
>>   Vendor: QUANTUM  Model: ATLAS10K2-TY367L Rev: DA40
>>   Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 03
>> Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
>>   Vendor: ADIC     Model: FastStor DLT     Rev: D116
>>   Type:   Medium Changer                   ANSI SCSI revision: 02
>> Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 03 Lun: 00
>>   Vendor: QUANTUM  Model: DLT7000          Rev: 2561
>>   Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI revision: 02
>>
>> By cross-referencing those two, you would think tha the DLT drive
>> could be accessed at /dev/sg2, correct?  Well, at first, that
>> didn't seem to be working:
>>
>> lpdlnx00 dev # mt -f /dev/sg2 status
>> /dev/sg2: Operation not permitted
>>
>> However, I just tried putting /dev/sg2 into my chg-scsi.conf.  I
>> re-ran amcheck, and not it appears that it's actually doing
>> something. We'll see how this turns out after it finishes.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: