Amanda-Users

Re: debugging chg-scsi

2004-11-04 16:01:07
Subject: Re: debugging chg-scsi
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Erik Anderson <erikerik AT gmail DOT com>, Amanda Users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2004 14:56:55 -0600
--On Thursday, November 04, 2004 13:03:43 -0600 Erik Anderson <erikerik AT
gmail DOT com> wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 12:54:12 -0600, Erik Anderson <erikerik AT gmail DOT com>
> wrote:
>> However, I just tried putting /dev/sg2 into my chg-scsi.conf.  I
>> re-ran amcheck, and not it appears that it's actually doing something.
>>  We'll see how this turns out after it finishes.
>
> Okay - we're getting closer here.  I can feel it ;-)
>
> Now when I run amcheck - it actually *does* something with the
> changer, rather than just erroring out immeadiately.
>
> amanda@lpdlnx00 LPD $ amcheck LPD
> Amanda Tape Server Host Check
> -----------------------------
> Holding disk /dumps/amanda: 36514756 KB disk space available, that's plenty
> amcheck-server: slot 4: rewinding tape: Operation not permitted

'operation not permitted' could be either using the wrong device,
such as trying to rewind the changer device instead of the tape device,
or the permissions on the devices don't allow access to your backup user.
Do you have the proper tape device specified?  Does Amanda have r/w
permissions on it?

> amcheck-server: fatal slot 5: slot 5 move failed

misconfigured/broken changer script or  device permissions.

If I remember a previous post correctly, you were able to successfully
run the changer script directly.  Were you testing it as root or your
backup user?

> ERROR: new tape not found in rack
>        (expecting a new tape)

Possibly just a result of your changer script bombing out, but don't
forget you need to label tapes before Amanda can use them.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673