Amanda-Users

Re: Question about backing up (multiple tapes per session on one device)

2004-11-03 23:09:15
Subject: Re: Question about backing up (multiple tapes per session on one device)
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: James Marcinek <jmarc1 AT jemconsult DOT biz>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2004 21:59:01 -0600
--On Thursday, November 04, 2004 00:18:30 +0000 James Marcinek <jmarc1 AT
jemconsult DOT biz> wrote:

> On to the next hurdle hopefully one of the last.
>
> I have one tape device. I will be working with multiple systems so I know that
> some backups will require multiple tapes. Since the backups will be eventually
> done on cron, how does one know that a tape change is needed? Will amanda send
> out an email or something. I'm planning on using amcheck to make sure the
> correct tape is in prior to kicking the backup off... I just couldn't find
> anything on this matter.

Do you have a changer?  If so, Amanda will automatically load the next tape
when needed (once you've configured it properly, of course).  If not, you
can use chg-manual (a 'virtual' tape changer where you are the changer
and manually swap out tapes as needed).  I believe if you have enough
holdingdisk space your backups will continue while its waiting for you
to swap tapes.  I haven't used it, perhaps someone else can clarify how
it notifies you that a tape change is needed.

Frank