Amanda-Users

Re: parse of reply message failed

2004-11-03 04:53:30
Subject: Re: parse of reply message failed
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: foo AT porto.bmb.uga DOT edu
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2004 10:49:37 +0100
foo AT porto.bmb.uga DOT edu wrote:

I have a client that's been working fine for many months, and after I
recently rebooted it to boot a newer version of the Linux kernel, I
started getting this for all of its filesystems:

FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
  albarino   / lev 2 FAILED [[parse of reply message failed]]

No configuration was changed at all - a reboot into a newer kernel was
the only thing that happened.  amcheck doesn't report anything wrong.
Both client and server are running Amanda 2.4.2p2 from Debian Woody.

Can anyone tell me how to figure out what's actually going wrong?

First, I don't find that errormessage in the sources of 2.4.4p3, the
current stable version.  So there are some changes since 2.4.2p2
that would change/solve that behaviour...  (or at least produce
a better error message).

Also make sure you're not running into a max dgram packet size problem.

As a first start, we like to see the contents of /tmp/amanda/amandad.TIMESTAMP.debug
That file contains a dump of the conversation from the client side
point of view.

The server side of the conversation is logged into the amdump file
(which is renamed to amdump.1 when finished), in the ~amanda/ConFig
directory.  However this logging is not as detailed as the client side.
But I guess there are some hints in that file too.

It would be nice to have a trace of the network traffic that
went along, to find out if the server did receive those packets as
the client sent them.

To be really handy, all that info should be from the same run too.

Please Cc me on replies, I'm not subscribed to the list.

Thanks,
-ryan