Amanda-Users

Re: Sony_AIT_Library_LIB_D81_A3EU or other streamer

2004-10-27 14:18:29
Subject: Re: Sony_AIT_Library_LIB_D81_A3EU or other streamer
From: Daniel Bentley <danielb AT hermod.qsicorp DOT com>
To: TheQL AT ish DOT de
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 12:12:11 -0600 (MDT)
> We have several Sony AIT3 drives, and previously used Sony AIT2 drives.
> Only had one problem (one drive refused to eject a tape, had to get
> the drive replaced under warranty and got the tape back undamaged).
> I've  never used Sony's changers, so I can't say anything about those
> (ours are Qualstars, never had a problem with them).

And though I haven't had any experience with AIT drives, I've been working
with a Sony changer for some time.  Sony TSL-9000, 8-tape DDS-3 external.
It's been chugging away faithfully, writing to tape every day, for at
least 5 years now ('at least' because it was purchased and put in place
two network admins ago, so I don't have a really clear idea exactly when).
Glad I found Amanda for it, it had been working from a set of kludgey
scripts for years previously...

In our own search, and with feedback from the list, my manager and I are
thinking of LTO-2 for own own hardware upgrade.  We have eyes currently on
IBM Ultrium tape drives, either the 3580 single-tape, or the 3581
auto-loader (as there's '-only- a $4k difference between the two' in the
words of my manager).  I'm kinda pushing for the auto-loader myself, so I
can keep using Amanda (though I say it's 'for future capacity expansion
options,' of course. ;) ).

--
Daniel Bentley - Network Technician, QSI Corporation (www.qsicorp.com)
"Exploits care not whence the clicks come..."