Amanda-Users

Laptop Backup Strategy

2004-10-27 03:55:28
Subject: Laptop Backup Strategy
From: Richard Karnesky <karnesky AT northwestern DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 02:51:50 -0500
I'd like to add several laptops to my current configuration. I was wondering what solutions people used for "transient" hosts. Ideally, the main backup configuration (which handles workstations) would run in the evening. The downside of this is that laptops are VERY rarely (if ever) on the network at this time. So some of the possible solutions:

1. Force users to occasionally leave their laptops on the network over night. Probably not going to happen.

2. Setup a second config, to be executed for only transient hosts during the work day. Is there a way to keep this on a holding disk & trick amanda into dumping it with the first config, so that I only use a single set of tapes? We have tapes that are somewhat large & somewhat expensive & it would be overly wastefull to use 2 tapes/day when 1 could be sufficient. It would also be a shame to maintain two indexes & figure out which to restore from.

3. Force users to backup to a server
What do Windows & OS X users use for this? BackupPC? A tar or some proprietary backup format saved to a samba share?

I was wondering which of these solutions (or others that I didn't think of and couldn't find in the list archives) people use & if there is any additional advice that could be useful.

Thanks,
Richard Karnesky