Amanda-Users

Re: no index records

2004-10-17 01:10:03
Subject: Re: no index records
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Joe Konecny <jkonecn AT green-mfg DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 00:05:14 -0500
--On Saturday, October 16, 2004 22:58:47 -0400 Joe Konecny <jkonecn AT
green-mfg DOT com> wrote:

> Using 3.0.4 with FreeBSD 5.2.1...

That's confusing to me.  The current stable release is 2.4.4p3,
and I thing the dev branch is at 2.5.something.  Is is an Amanda
you built from source or installed from a package?

> Testing amrecover everything
> went smooth restoring one file.  Tried it again right afterwards
> and amrecover says no index records. Couldn't figure out what
> I did to cause it but figured it was me.

You may have run amrecover on a filesystem containing the index
directory, and it removed all the files not present at the time
the backup ran.  Its safest to recover into a scratch directory
and move the files where you need them.   Restoring individual
files should work, but if you pick a directory it will remove
extra files.  Even on individual files you might want to diff
them before overwriting, in case there are edits made after the
backup you might need to save, so restoring into a scratch dir
would still be helpful.

>  Ran amdump several
> times since and no index records are being created.  In the
> index dir last night it created on file called 20041015_0.gz
> size was 20 bytes.  Indexing is turned on.  Any ideas on where
> to look?

If you unzip or zcat that file is it totally empty or might it
just contain the directory name?  Look in the debug files on the
client and server to look for clues.
   Another possibility is that your DLE is a link so all you are
backing up is the link itself and not the directory it points
to, or you are trying to use dump on a subdirectory (some versions
of dump will, some won't).

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673