Amanda-Users

Re: [out of tape] [dump to tape failed] ["data write: Broken pipe"]

2004-08-29 13:59:05
Subject: Re: [out of tape] [dump to tape failed] ["data write: Broken pipe"]
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 13:54:46 -0400
On Sun, Aug 29, 2004 at 03:17:50PM +0200, Reidar Nordin wrote:

> > Your 'tape' is full.  It doesn't necessarily mean the disk
> > is full, it could be that your backups exceed your tape length.
> > Look farther down in your report for the taper line and see if it
> > wrote as many bytes as you specified for the length in your tapetype.
> > If so, either increase your tape length (since you're really writing
> > to a file instead of to a tape) or increase runtapes to write to
> > multiple 'tapes'.
>
> I have increased the length in tapetype from 10GB to 20GB but still got the
> same error as desc. before
>
> The dumpsummary for just this server (awe) says:
> ***
>
>                                DUMPER STATS            TAPER STATS
> HOSTNAME     DISK        L ORIG-KB OUT-KB COMP% MMM:SS  KB/s MMM:SS  KB/s
> awe          /home       0 FAILED ---------------------------------------
> awe          /httpd/conf 0     200     55  27.5   0:00 272.6   0:00 240.5
> awe          -/local/adm 0      30      2   6.7   0:00   5.0   0:00   7.0
> awe          -/lib/mysql 0  184160  22300  12.1   1:19 282.1   1:19 282.0
> ***
>
> >From the end of my amanda log:
> ***
> INFO taper tape backup09 kb 2188064 fm 30 writing file: short write
> FAIL taper awe /home 20040828 0 [out of tape]
> ERROR taper no-tape [[writing file: short write]]
> FAIL driver awe /home 20040828 0 [dump to tape failed]
> FAIL dumper awe /home 20040828 0 ["data write: Broken pipe"]
>   sendbackup: start [awe:/home level 0]
>   sendbackup: info BACKUP=/bin/tar
>   sendbackup: info RECOVER_CMD=/usr/bin/gzip -dc |/bin/tar -f... -
>   sendbackup: info COMPRESS_SUFFIX=.gz
>   sendbackup: info end
> FINISH driver date 20040828 time 2188.326
> ***
>
> > I'm guessing you're not using a holding disk.  While it's not as
> > necessary using the file driver, it would allow multiple dumps to
> > occur in parallel, which can shorten your backup window (using a
> > different disk is recommended to lessen I/O contention)
>
> I am using hdb1 for my backup's (mounted FAT32 disk)
> I am using hda2 as holding disk, this is my config in amanda.conf:
>
> ***
> holdingdisk hda2 {
>     comment "main holding disk"
>     directory "/usr/local/etc/amanda/holdingdisk"       # where the holding
> disk is
>     use -10 Mb          # how much space can we use on it
>                         # a non-positive value means:
>                         #        use all space but that value
>     chunksize 10Gb      # size of chunk if you want big dump to be
>                         # dumped on multiple files on holding disks
>                         #  N Kb/Mb/Gb split images in chunks of size N
>                         #             The maximum value should be
>                         #             (MAX_FILE_SIZE - 1Mb)
>                         #  0          same as INT_MAX bytes
>     }
> ***
>
> But the holdingdisk seems to be empty when Amanda tells me that some files
> [...]

I don't know the max file size on your FS's, but on some it is 2GB.
You could eliminate that as a possible problem on the holding disk
by specifying a "chunksize" as 1GB.   I don't know about the FAT32
you are using for your virtual 20GB tapes.  Is there a file size
limit on FAT32?

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)