Amanda-Users

'strange amanda header' errors

2004-08-17 13:41:51
Subject: 'strange amanda header' errors
From: "Scott Frisbie" <sfriz AT linuxmail DOT org>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 01:37:58 +0800
I've been trying to run amrestore with the following command and I've
been getting lots of these errors:

amrestore  /dev/nst0 SERVER_NAME

amrestore: strange amanda header: "AMANDA: FILE 20040810
SERVER_NAME  /etc lev 1 comp"N program /bin/gtar"
amrestore: WARNING: not at start of tape, file numbers will be offset

after which amrestore stops and I run the the command again to get
the
error message for the next file on the tape. I occasionally get
 amrestore:   0: restoring SERVER_NAME._path_to_file.20040810.1
amrestore:   1: skipping OTHER_SERVER1._path_to_files.20040810.0
amrestore:   2: skipping OTHER_SERVER2._path_to_files.20040810.1

before getting one of the 'strange amanda header'  errors, but it's
kind
of rare. Is this a sign of tapes going bad? Is there some config file
that
needs to be fixed? Is there a better way to get the data off the
tapes?

Thanks.
Scott