Amanda-Users

Amanda refusing to reuse old tapes

2004-08-17 09:41:15
Subject: Amanda refusing to reuse old tapes
From: "Jay Ted" <jayted AT linuxmail DOT org>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 21:37:38 +0800
Am I missing something really easy here....

I have 35 tapes in rotation with a Dell Powervault 120T 7 tape autochanger.

Usually the backups only take about 2 or 3 tapes, I have runtapes set to 4 just
in case.  This is still a work in progress.  The problem that I am having is
that when amanda uses the the last set of tapes (DailyDLT-29-35)
and the next available tapes (DailyDLT-01-07) are loaded, amanda thinks they
are active and refuses to use them.  For example, even though the tape list
shows an entry like "20040801 DailyDLT-01 reuse " well over
the 7 day dumpcycle and not even containing data that is needed for a full
dump, amanda still thinks the tape is active and won't use it.  For a
workaround i keep having to amrmtape and amlabel to relabel it and set
tapelist right- I know I must be missing something simple...  Am I correct in
understanding that by setting the dumpcycle to one week that amanda should
happily reuse any tape older than seven days provided there
were not any errors in the previous weeks run?

Here's an excerpt from my amanda.conf:
dumpcycle 7 days
runspercycle 7
tapecycle 35 tapes