Amanda-Users

Errors from changing dtimeout/ctimeout settings

2004-08-12 11:20:15
Subject: Errors from changing dtimeout/ctimeout settings
From: "Larry Dunham" <ldunham AT 1tech DOT net>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 10:12:30 -0500

Hello all:

I must be missing something simple. I know I've edited amanda.conf before, but it's been a while.  I have been getting data timeout errors every day from one of my disks, so I tried to lengthen the dtimeout setting. After editing the file, when I run any operation that uses amanda.conf, I get the response listed below.

BEGIN "screenshot" =================================

[[amandauser]@[host] daily]$ /usr/local/sbin/amadmin daily tape

"amanda.conf", line 41: configuration keyword expected

"amanda.conf", line 41: end of line expected

"amanda.conf", line 44: configuration keyword expected

"amanda.conf", line 44: end of line expected

amadmin: could not find "amanda.conf" in this directory.

END "screenshot"   =================================

Lines 41-44 below were copied into amanda.conf from another tape server’s amanda.conf where I have not been having timeout issues.  If I delete lines 41-44 it runs fine, but of course leaves me with my original problem.  (The original file had no dtimeout or ctimeout entries at all, just used the defaults.)  I have listed the relevant lines of amanda.conf below, with added line numbers in brackets for clarity.

BEGIN partial file listing  =================================

[34] etimeout 2400

[35] #etimeout 1200          # number of seconds per filesystem for estimates.

[36] #etimeout -600          # total number of seconds for estimates.

[37] # a positive number will be multiplied by the number of filesystems on

[38] # each host; a negative number will be taken as an absolute total time-out.

[39] # The default is 5 minutes per filesystem.

[40]

[41] dtimeout 3600          # number of idle seconds before a dump is aborted.

[42]

[43] ctimeout 60             # maximum number of seconds that amcheck waits

[44]                       # for each client host

END partial file listing     =================================

I’ve also tried just typing the lines in by hand in case I was bringing over control characters with my copy and paste in ProComm. Same result.  I know dtimeout and ctimeout are standard configuration keywords, so why the error?  How do I fix it?  Any ideas?  Thanks so much!

Larry Dunham

<ldunham AT 1tech DOT net>