Amanda-Users

Re: amrecover hangs: bzip issue?

2004-08-04 18:35:48
Subject: Re: amrecover hangs: bzip issue?
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Kris Vassallo <kris AT linuxcertified DOT com>, Amanda List <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 17:31:24 -0500
--On Wednesday, August 04, 2004 15:06:13 -0700 Kris Vassallo <kris AT
linuxcertified DOT com> wrote:

> So looking into some logs I see a problem that looks like its whats
> causing everything to break.
> Inside of the log amidxtaped.20040804140128.debug, I am seeing some gzip
> errors. I have included a snippet of the log below which includes the
> error towards the bottom. Anyone know whats going on!?
>
> amidxtaped: time 0.000: Ready to execv amrestore with:
> path = /usr/sbin/amrestore
> argv[0] = "amrestore"
> argv[1] = "-h"
> argv[2] = "-p"
> argv[3] = "file:/backup/amandadumps/tape01"
> argv[4] = "^venus.berkeley-da.com$"
> argv[5] = "^/home$"
> argv[6] = "20040728"
> amrestore:   0: skipping start of tape: date 20040728 label DailySet101
> amrestore:   1: skipping bda2.berkeley-da.com._var_ www.20040728.1
> <http://www.20040728.1>
> amrestore:   2: skipping bda1.berkeley-da.com._home.20040728.2
> amrestore:   3: restoring venus.berkeley-da.com._home.20040728.0
>
> gzip: stdout: Connection reset by peer
> Error 32 (Broken pipe) offset 2063728640+32768, wrote 0

Looks like something bombed when it hit 2GB, perhaps something in the
chain is not largefile aware?

I did hit a post on google that said although Sun claimed that bzip2 in
Solaris 8 was largefile aware, it actually wasn't, and they needed to
install a newer bzip2.  Try doing some testing with tar and bzip2 and
see if they can both handle files > 2GB.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673