Amanda-Users

Tapeless recovery - where did my files go?!

2004-08-03 17:06:58
Subject: Tapeless recovery - where did my files go?!
From: Kris Vassallo <kris AT linuxcertified DOT com>
To: Amanda List <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 13:59:01 -0700
I have used tar to do my backups, FYI. The issue that I am encountering is that when I try to recover files I get the following response
amrecover> list
TAPE DailySet106 LEVEL 3 DATE 2004-08-02
        /qa/.bashrc
        /qa/.bash_history
amrecover> settape localhost:file:/backup/amandadumps/tape06
Using tape "file:/backup/amandadumps/tape06" from server localhost.
amrecover> extract

Extracting files using tape drive file:/backup/amandadumps/tape06 on host localhost.
The following tapes are needed: DailySet106

Restoring files into directory /home
Continue [?/Y/n]? y

Extracting files using tape drive file:/backup/amandadumps/tape06 on host localhost.
Load tape DailySet106 now
Continue [?/Y/n/t]? y
./qa/.bash_history
./qa/.bashrc
amrecover>

My questions are 1. Where the heck did the files go?! They aren't inside of /home like is says they will be above ^.  and 2. Am I setting the tape device correctly? I am backing up to disks and the location of the actual "tape" is in /backup/amandadumps/tape06 which according to amanda is DailySet106. If I don't specify the tape device manually then it complains a whole bunch about not being able to use /dev/null.
-Kris