Amanda-Users

Re: Tapeless recovery - where did my files go?!

2004-08-03 18:07:31
Subject: Re: Tapeless recovery - where did my files go?!
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Kris Vassallo <kris AT linuxcertified DOT com>, Amanda List <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 17:03:13 -0500
--On Tuesday, August 03, 2004 13:59:01 -0700 Kris Vassallo <kris AT
linuxcertified DOT com> wrote:

> I have used tar to do my backups, FYI. The issue that I am encountering
> is that when I try to recover files I get the following response
> amrecover> list
> TAPE DailySet106 LEVEL 3 DATE 2004-08-02
>         /qa/.bashrc
>         /qa/.bash_history
> amrecover> settape localhost:file:/backup/amandadumps/tape06
> Using tape "file:/backup/amandadumps/tape06" from server localhost.
> amrecover> extract
>
> Extracting files using tape drive file:/backup/amandadumps/tape06 on
> host localhost.
> The following tapes are needed: DailySet106
>
> Restoring files into directory /home
> Continue [?/Y/n]? y
>
> Extracting files using tape drive file:/backup/amandadumps/tape06 on
> host localhost.
> Load tape DailySet106 now
> Continue [?/Y/n/t]? y
> ./qa/.bash_history
> ./qa/.bashrc
> amrecover>
>
> My questions are 1. Where the heck did the files go?! They aren't inside
> of /home like is says they will be above ^.

Amrecover builds a directory tree relataive to wherever you are when you
run it, so if you run it from /home/foo look for those files and directories
under there.  If you really want it directly where it came from then
you have to be in the directory listed in the disklist.  You probably don't
want to do that though, since tar first wipes out the directory and then
restores from tape, so anything new or changed since the backup will be
gone.  I prefer to recover into a scratch directory and then copy over what
I need.

> and 2. Am I setting the
> tape device correctly? I am backing up to disks and the location of the
> actual "tape" is in /backup/amandadumps/tape06 which according to amanda
> is DailySet106. If I don't specify the tape device manually then it
> complains a whole bunch about not being able to use /dev/null.

No idea.  I played with file backups but don't use them, so I'll leave
that answer for others on the lists.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673