Amanda-Users

Re: recycling an amanda tape

2004-08-03 11:07:35
Subject: Re: recycling an amanda tape
From: Dave Sherohman <dsherohman AT westling DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 10:02:57 -0500
On Tue, Aug 03, 2004 at 02:27:13PM +0100, Ranveer Attalia wrote:
> Sorry
> I forgot to mention - the previous nights backup failed, so I was hoping
> that if I set the backup to the same config as the night before so that
> I could use the same tape labels, those tapes would be just overwritten
> when I came in this morning....

In that situation, you could fake amanda out by manually editing tapelist
and moving the tape(s) in question from the bottom of the list to the top
(or vice-versa, I don't recall which direction they're sorted).

If you're sure you really want to overwrite them.

Personally, I'd just go on to the next tape(s) normally, despite the
failure, as protection against the possibility that the failed backup may
have finished writing some DLEs before failing and I wouldn't want to risk
losing them.  But that's just me (and I have 3 tapecycles' worth of tapes
to work with, so having one day of worthless tape isn't that big a deal).