Amanda-Users

Re: The use of Amanda without tapes ?

2004-05-25 23:13:35
Subject: Re: The use of Amanda without tapes ?
From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <monitor AT oops.co DOT at>
To: Andreas Moser <info AT moserandreas DOT de>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 05:08:13 +0200
Hi, Byarlay, Wayne A.,

on Dienstag, 25. Mai 2004 at 16:51 you wrote to amanda-users:

BWA> I suppose you could do the holding-disk trick the other guy mentioned.
BWA> But if you want to use a large disk to mimic several tapes, thus
BWA> allowing you to do the amrestore thingy from the clients, some other
BWA> people have created some tutorials/examples of how they've done it. I
BWA> recommend looking all these over.

BWA> First do a search for a message from a guy "Clinton Hogge" in the
BWA> amanda-users archive. He has a good e-mail RE this.
BWA> Second, a guy "Alex Muc" also wrote a tutorial, do a search in the
BWA> amanda-users archive in Yahoo for that one too.

BWA> I tried finding these files myself in my archives, but all I can locate
BWA> is the printed version. If I come across them again later, I'll e-mail
BWA> them to you. Hopefully the authors wouldn't care.

You could find them in the archives at

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=amanda-users&r=1&w=2

Please be aware of the fact that the mentioned howtos refer to the use
of chg-multi which is considered "old-school" due to the facts
mentioned in the current HOWTO-FILE-DRIVER.

The chg-disk changer-script is the more logical way and even easier to
set up.

You wrote

> if you want to use a large disk to mimic several tapes

>From the HOWTO:

The script chg-multi handles many drives with a tape in each drive.
The script chg-disk handles a library with one drive and multiple tapes.

You can find the HOWTO in the current AMANDA-tarball in
the docs-subdir, or online, for example at

http://www.oops.co.at/HOWTO-FILE-DRIVER.htm

--
best regards,
Stefan