Amanda-Users

Re: Wildcards in disklist?

2004-05-21 10:38:33
Subject: Re: Wildcards in disklist?
From: Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars AT oddbit DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 10:32:09 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 21 May 2004, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:

> On Fri, 21 May 2004 at 8:19am, Lars Kellogg-Stedman wrote
>
> > A ridiculously simple solution to this whole problem would be using
> > wildcards in the disklist file, e.g.,:
> >
> >   localhost /export/data/[a-mA-M]* dumptype
> >   localhost /export/data/[n-zN-Z]* dumptype
>
> First off, don't use localhost.  It will bite you.  The list archvies have
> *much* discussion on this point.

Joshua,

Thanks for the tip.  I was actually using localhost just for the sake of
an example -- I'm not using it on the actual backup server -- but it's
good to know this is a problem.

I didn't see this anywhere in the Amanda documentation.  Did I miss
something?

> As for your question, wildcards *do* work with includes and excludes, so
> this is actually quite easy:
>
> $HOSTNAME  /export/data/aAmM /export/data {
>            dumptype
>            include ./[a-mA-M]* }

I hadn't realized that this extended syntax was available in the disklist
file...most of the online Amanda articles/tutorials don't seem to mention
it, although checking after the fact I see that the example disklist file
included with amanda does show this syntax.

In any case, that's tremendously useful information, and I'm going to give
it a shot for this evenings backups.

Thanks again,

-- Lars

--
Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars AT oddbit DOT com>