Amanda-Users

Wildcards in disklist?

2004-05-21 08:25:39
Subject: Wildcards in disklist?
From: Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars AT oddbit DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 08:19:19 -0400
Howdy all,

I'm using Amanda with a Dell PV120T tape library, which has a DTL 4000
drive capable of writing 20GB uncompressed data to each tape.  I have a
directory that's currently tipping the scales at 30GB, and is only going
to get larger.  Normally, I would look into splitting this backup apart
by subdirectory, but that's not going to work here:

* There are currently 409 subdirectories beneath the parent.

* The structure of these subdirectories is mandated by the application,
so I can't create some sort of top-level "grouping" directories.

* Directories will be created, deleted, or renamed.

A ridiculously simple solution to this whole problem would be using
wildcards in the disklist file, e.g.,:

  localhost /export/data/[a-mA-M]* dumptype
  localhost /export/data/[n-zN-Z]* dumptype

But of course this doesn't work :(.

One possible solution I've considered is running a script prior to
running amdump that would generate a disklist file automatically.  Can
anyone suggest any alternatives?

Thanks,

-- Lars