Amanda-Users

Re: amcheck/amdump fails (sometimes) to amanda client

2004-05-20 17:44:22
Subject: Re: amcheck/amdump fails (sometimes) to amanda client
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Steven Schoch <stevenschoch AT hotmail DOT com>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 23:33:37 +0200
Steven Schoch wrote:
Paul Bijnens wrote:
But there should be a amcheck.*.debug file on the server.
What's in there?

There is no such file on the server. All I have are amdump.1 (and .2 and .3) and log.20040520.0 (and other dates). The only error I see there is:

ERROR planner Request to marge timed out.

amdump.* and log.* files are in a subdir of the home dir of amanda,
but amcheck.*debug should be in /tmp/amanda on the server too.

The fact that on the client you don't find any debug files,
when run from crontab, seems to indicate that the request packets
never reached the client, or got stuck in some firewall or so.

Could you find out with tcpdump, ethereal or similar programs
if any packets do arrive at the client?

In looking closer at the amcheck message, I notice its timestamp is 16:00:30, exactly 30 seconds after amcheck is started by cron. Looking at the source, 30 seconds is ACK_WAIT * ACK_TRIES. So amcheck is (trying to) send the REQ packet 3 times, but getting no reply. The logs on marge say the packet was not received.

Indeed, except that i would say the *absence* of logs on marge say
the packet was not received. And that's a weak indication only.