Amanda-Users

Re: amcheck/amdump fails (sometimes) to amanda client

2004-05-20 17:01:47
Subject: Re: amcheck/amdump fails (sometimes) to amanda client
From: "Steven Schoch" <stevenschoch AT hotmail DOT com>
To: paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 13:58:34 -0700
Paul Bijnens wrote:
Steven Schoch wrote:
 marge      /var RESULTS MISSING

Is /var the only entry in the disklist for host marge?

No, I only pasted that as an example. There are actually three: /, /var, and /usr. Each fails in the same way.

In these cron cases, no files are created in /tmp/amanda on marge.

But there should be a amcheck.*.debug file on the server.
What's in there?

There is no such file on the server. All I have are amdump.1 (and .2 and .3) and log.20040520.0 (and other dates). The only error I see there is:

ERROR planner Request to marge timed out.

Here's some new information: I ran amdump on the command line, after "su amanda". It sucessfully connected to marge (although it failed with "can't switch to incremental dump" as expected). The exact same command fails when run from cron. This leads me to believe that either:

1.  It's a timing issue; or
2.  There is something different in the environment when run from cron.

I would think that the timing is not it, since cron runs amcheck at 4 p.m. and amdump at 12:45 a.m., but they both fail to connect to marge.

In looking closer at the amcheck message, I notice its timestamp is 16:00:30, exactly 30 seconds after amcheck is started by cron. Looking at the source, 30 seconds is ACK_WAIT * ACK_TRIES. So amcheck is (trying to) send the REQ packet 3 times, but getting no reply. The logs on marge say the packet was not received.

--
Steven Schoch

MSN Toolbar provides one-click access to Hotmail from any Web page ? FREE download! http://toolbar.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200413ave/direct/01/