Amanda-Users

Re: Connection refused

2004-05-17 13:52:09
Subject: Re: Connection refused
From: Tony van der Hoff <tony AT mk-net.nildram.co DOT uk>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 18:49:03 +0100
Tony van der Hoff <tony AT mk-net.nildram.co DOT uk> wrote in message
<gemini.hxlp1003620cw01s6.tony AT mk-net.nildram.co DOT uk>

> Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com> wrote in message
> <BBB9A9EC938EDE7DACB78637 AT hoovers-59.hoovers DOT com>
>
> > --On Tuesday, May 11, 2004 17:22:28 +0100 Tony van der Hoff
> <tony AT mk-net.nildram.co DOT uk> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have successfully installed and configured Amanda, and amcheck runs
> > > successfully, as does amdump.
> > >
> > > However, amrecover (running as root) fails, with the message "cannot
> > > connect to tony-lx.magpieway.net: connection refused"
> > >
> > > .amandahosts contains tony-lx.magpieway.net, which is the localhost,
> > > as well as the tape server, which user amanda can happily access to do
> > > the backups.
> > >
> > > Evidently this is a permissions problem with root, but can anyone
> > > point me in the right direction to fix it? Runnig Mandrake 9.1.
> >
> > Do you have amindexd and amidxtaped configured in (x)inetd on the tape
> > server? They aren't needed for backups, but are for restores.
> >    'connection refused' usually indicates a service isn't running, or
> > possibly firewall problems, .amandahosts problems generally give you an
> > 'access as foo not allowed..' message.
> >

> Thanks, Frank, for the suggestion. I didn't have them configured, so I
> have done so. Have you any reference to these services in the
> documentation? I have assumed they are datagram services.
>
> Unfortunately, it has not had the desired effect :-(
>
> Cheers,

An update to that, FWIW.

You were correct in your diagnosis of the problem; I hadn't got them
configured correctly. I found the instructions in the Using Amanda book from
Storge Moutain, and this time set it up correctly :-)

Thanks, once again, for your help.

--
Tony van der Hoff       | mailto:tony AT mk-net.nildram.co DOT uk
Buckinghamshire England