Amanda-Users

Re: Connection refused

2004-05-11 13:19:54
Subject: Re: Connection refused
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Tony van der Hoff <tony AT mk-net.nildram.co DOT uk>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 12:08:27 -0500
--On Tuesday, May 11, 2004 17:22:28 +0100 Tony van der Hoff <tony AT
mk-net.nildram.co DOT uk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have successfully installed and configured Amanda, and amcheck runs
> successfully, as does amdump.
>
> However, amrecover (running as root) fails, with the message
> "cannot connect to tony-lx.magpieway.net: connection refused"
>
> .amandahosts contains tony-lx.magpieway.net, which is the localhost, as well
> as the tape server, which user amanda can happily access to do the backups.
>
> Evidently this is a permissions problem with root, but can anyone point me
> in the right direction to fix it? Runnig Mandrake 9.1.

Do you have amindexd and amidxtaped configured in (x)inetd on the tape server?
They aren't needed for backups, but are for restores.
   'connection refused' usually indicates a service isn't running, or
possibly firewall problems, .amandahosts problems generally give you an
'access as foo not allowed..' message.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673