Amanda-Users

Re: Tape shouldn't be active anymore, but is.

2004-05-17 13:19:45
Subject: Re: Tape shouldn't be active anymore, but is.
From: Alexander Jolk <alexj AT buf DOT com>
To: Hans van Zijst <hzi AT syncera DOT nl>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 19:16:26 +0200
Hans van Zijst wrote:

> I don't seem to understand how to tell Amanda when to overwrite tapes. What
> I try to do is make regular backups from monday till thursday (I make a
> full dump every friday) and recycle those tapes after 2 weeks. So, I use 4
> tapes every week and one cycle takes 2 weeks, which means I use 8 tapes per
> cycle. I configured 2 spare tapes just in case. This is the relevant part
> in my amanda.conf:
>
> dumpcycle       2 weeks
> runspercycle    8 days
> tapecycle       10 tapes
>
> But if I feed Amanda the first tape again, after two weeks, it complains
> that it cannot overwrite an active tape. What do I do wrong?

I think (without actually verifying things) that a tape is considered
active as long as at least <tapecycle> tapes haven't been used.  Which
means that you cannot give the first tape to amanda again before the
last two, even if two weeks have gone by.  Just put in a tapecycle of 8,
and she'll be fine; you can still use those two surplus tapes whenever
you feel like it, amanda will gladly accept them any time.

Alex

--
Alexander Jolk         /         BUF Compagnie
tel +33-1 42 68 18 28 /  fax +33-1 42 68 18 29