Amanda-Users

Re: amdump: request timed out.. already read FAQ & troubleshooting

2004-04-29 07:47:20
Subject: Re: amdump: request timed out.. already read FAQ & troubleshooting
From: Jamie Wilkinson <jaq AT spacepants DOT org>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 17:56:58 +1000
This one time, at band camp, Kris Vassallo wrote:
>One day last week after AMANDA had been running fine for months it
>just broke and I now am seeing this in my email log daily:

What's your etimeout set to, and how big is the filesystem on
host.domain:/backup/repo and /home ?

I've just had the very same thing in the last week, and after some
fiddling I found it was timing out when trying to get the estimates.  I
boosted etimeout to 3600 and the dump succeeded this morning.

>Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
>Client check: 3 hosts checked in 0.226 seconds, 0 problems found

I was seeing this too, because of course the check doesn't require
seeking over some 95G of data.

I think the etimeout is a bit of a hack, though, and would prefer to see
some ping mechanism in the protocol so that clients can let the server
know that they're still alive and doing stuff.

--
jaq AT spacepants DOT org
http://spacepants.org/jaq.gpg