Amanda-Users

amdump: request timed out.. already read FAQ & troubleshooting

2004-04-29 03:44:40
Subject: amdump: request timed out.. already read FAQ & troubleshooting
From: Kris Vassallo <kris AT linuxcertified DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: 29 Apr 2004 00:37:31 -0700
One day last week after AMANDA had been running fine for months it
just broke and I now am seeing this in my email log daily:

FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
  host.domain /backup/repo lev 0 FAILED [Request to host.domain.com
timed out.]
  host.domain /home lev 0 FAILED [Request to host.domain.com timed
out.]
(with host.domain being a FQDN which the machine can resolve)

- I am getting debug logs in /tmp/amanda
- I have checked that amandaidx and amandad are both enabled in
xinetd.d and have restarted xinetd.d
- running "su - amanda -c "amcheck DailySet1" " reveals:
Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
--------------------------------
Client check: 3 hosts checked in 0.226 seconds, 0 problems found

- The host that is having the problem is also the server, yet it is
backing up 2 other hosts just fine.
- I have the FQDN in .amandahosts
- Running amandad as the amanda user causes ~30 of hanging before it
times out like its supposed to
- There is nothing about amandad or xinetd being broken in
/var/log/messages

I am starting to run out of hair to pull out! Does anyone have any
ideas on what could be causing this?