Amanda-Users

Re: dumper and planner error.

2004-04-22 16:08:48
Subject: Re: dumper and planner error.
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: Amanda Users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 16:05:39 -0400
On Thursday 22 April 2004 14:49, Sören Edzen wrote:
>* Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com> [2004-04-21 23:58]:
>> Sören Edzen wrote:
>> >I belive I have dumper setuid root. It was one of the problems I
>> >solved before I managed to create backups with amanda. I used the
>> >following command:
>> >chmod +s /usr/lib/amanda/dumper
>> >Is this the right way to do it?
>>
>> Besides dumper there are others that have to be suid root.
>
>I know.
>
>> The proper way is to "make install" as root, instead
>> of fixing it with chmod.
>
>I did that. Maybe I should remove amanda and make a fresh install?

Yes. Nuke the src dir, unpack the archive fresh, then do as root:
chown -R amanda:disk srcdir

Then copy your config&build script into the new dir and run it as the
user amanda.

If you don't have a config&make script, here is mine, adjust to suit:
--------------gh.cf--------------
#!/bin/sh
# since I'm always forgetting to su amanda...
if [ `whoami` != 'amanda' ]; then
        echo
        echo "!!!!!!!!!!!! Warning !!!!!!!!!!!!"
        echo "Amanda needs to be configured and built by the user amanda,"
        echo "but must be installed by user root."
        echo
        exit 1
fi
make clean
rm -f config.status config.cache
./configure --with-user=amanda \
        --with-group=disk \
        --with-owner=amanda \
        --with-tape-device=/dev/nst0 \
        --with-changer-device=/dev/sg1 \
        --with-gnu-ld --prefix=/usr/local \
        --with-debugging=/tmp/amanda-dbg/ \
        --with-tape-server=coyote.coyote.den \
        --with-amandahosts \
        --with-configdir=/usr/local/etc/amanda

make
---------EOF, gh.cf---------

remove the changer-device line if not useing a tape robot.
adjust the tape-server line to be the FQDN of your server machine,
noting that a machine may be both server and client.

Once the above script has run, then become root and do a "make
install"

Then as user amanda, repeatadly run "amcheck YourConfigsName", fixing
anything called an error, and ignoring the warnings as they will be
fixed when amdump runs.

That should get you walking with at least one leg in the ring, ready
to do some fine-tuning.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: