Amanda-Users

Re: "Incremental tape too low" when using amrestore

2004-04-21 09:56:23
Subject: Re: "Incremental tape too low" when using amrestore
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Hans van Zijst <hzi AT syncera DOT nl>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 15:52:40 +0200
Hans van Zijst wrote:

Funny that you mention tar. The reason why I chose dump is that dump was supposed to handle open files better than tar. Plus, I don't like the idea of atime being updated because of a backup.

Tar and dump handle open files just as bad.  Or maybe tar is a little
better in that the gnutar does not generate a corrupt archive.
Only the active file itself could be in some inconsistent state.

Dump could generate a corrupt archive that makes restore crash/dump
core (although, I've never seen this happen -- but I only use dump
sporadically).

To avoid modifying the atime, some of my systems do backups using
filesystem snapshots, and the backup is made on the readonly, stable
copy of the snapshot.  No more problems with modification of atime
nor active filesytems/open files.