Amanda-Users

Re: "Incremental tape too low" when using amrestore

2004-04-21 05:57:05
Subject: Re: "Incremental tape too low" when using amrestore
From: Hans van Zijst <hzi AT syncera DOT nl>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 11:54:49 +0200
Hi Gertjan,

Two reasons. First, "UNIX Backup and recovery" (O'Reilly) says:

"amrecover should not be used to do full system recovery with vendor restore
tools [...] Full system recovery with vendor restore should be done with
amrestore."

Makes sense. And the second reason is that I want to build a few scripts so
that my colleague can take over things when I'm not around. I'd rather not
drop him in an interactive shell (he's used to another type of interface,
commonly used on workstations *grin*)

I tried "recover if -" btw, and that does work. Strange, because it's the
same image. But I don't quite trust it. I'm a bit afraid that an
interactive restore won't delete files that were deleted between level 0
and 1. And there are hosts that contain sensitive data that should really
be gone if deleted.

Kind regards,

Hans

On Wednesday 21 April 2004 11:39, Gertjan van Oosten wrote:
> Hello Hans,
>
> As quoted from Hans van Zijst <hzi AT syncera DOT nl>:
> > I tried a bare metal recovery yesterday,
>
> Why didn't you just use amrecover?  It prompts you to insert the right
> tapes in the tape server as needed, without you having to figure it out
> yourself.
>
> Kind regards,

 This message has been checked for all known viruses
 De informatie verzonden met dit e-mailbericht is
 uitsluitend bestemd voor de geadresseerde.
 Openbaarmaking, vermenigvuldiging, verspreiding en/of
 verstrekking van deze informatie aan derden is
 niet toegestaan. Wij aanvaarden geen aansprakelijkheid
 voor de juiste en volledige overbrenging van de inhoud
 van een verzonden e-mail bericht, noch voor tijdige
 ontvangst ervan.

              HTTP://WWW.Syncera.NL