Amanda-Users

Holding disk not being used

2004-04-05 16:52:21
Subject: Holding disk not being used
From: Cory Visi <merlin AT phear.lwz DOT org>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 16:45:19 -0400
I am having a problem with a specific backup set not making use of my
holding disk. This is not a problem with my other backup sets.

I have a particular archival backup set that is far from an ideal setup.
In this archival set, the basic idea is to do a full backup of all
partitions and fit as much as possible onto 1 tape. A full backup of all
my partitions will not fit on 1 tape, though, but the idea is that they
will be left in the holding disk so I can manually run amflush in the
morning.

I have used the following methods to ensure a full backup despite the tape
size restriction:

All my dump types have:

priority high
dumpcycle 0

I execute the following before each archive set dump:

amadmin archive force
amadmin archive force-no-bump

And finally, I have set:

reserve 100

Amanda does an excellent job of getting as much as she can onto the first
tape. The leftover partitions, however, seem to disappear. They are not
left on the holding disk. Here are the relevant log messages:

pondering server02.example.com://SERVER01/BACKUP-E... next_level0 0 last_level
-1 (due for level 0) (new disk, can't switch to degraded mode)  curr level 0
size 1127294 total size 1127390 total_lev0 1127294 balanced-lev0size 1127294
pondering server02.example.com:sda1... next_level0 0 last_level -1 (due for
level 0) (new disk, can't switch to degraded mode)  curr level 0 size 1138527
total size 5692392 total_lev0 5692168 balanced-lev0size 5692168

DELAYING DUMPS IF NEEDED, total_size 5692392, tape length 3904512 mark 0
planner: FAILED server02.example.com //SERVER01/BACKUP-E 20040330 0 [dumps too
big, 1127294 KB, but cannot incremental dump new disk]
planner: FAILED server02.example.com sda1 20040330 0 [dumps too big, 1138527
KB, but cannot incremental dump new disk]  delay: Total size now 3426507.

These partitions do not get dumped to the first tape, nor do they get
stored on the holding disk. I guess this may happen because Amanda knows
they are not going to fit on the tape, so she does not even try to dump
the two above partitions. If this is the case, what is the best way to
handle this situation? Should I create a fake tape size with a much larger
tape length? Perhaps I could even set the fake tape length to twice the
tape length (i.e. 2 tapes) to add some redeaming amount of correctness to
this sloppy setup.

Any other ideas would be much appreciated.
Thank you in advance to anyone that spends any of their valuable time
reading or responding to this request for help.

Thank you,
Cory Visi