Amanda-Users

Re: Holding disk not being used

2004-04-05 17:01:27
Subject: Re: Holding disk not being used
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Cory Visi <merlin AT phear.lwz DOT org>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 15:58:31 -0500
--On Monday, April 05, 2004 16:45:19 -0400 Cory Visi <merlin AT phear.lwz DOT
org> wrote:

> I am having a problem with a specific backup set not making use of my
> holding disk. This is not a problem with my other backup sets.
>
> I have a particular archival backup set that is far from an ideal setup.
> In this archival set, the basic idea is to do a full backup of all
> partitions and fit as much as possible onto 1 tape. A full backup of all
> my partitions will not fit on 1 tape, though, but the idea is that they
> will be left in the holding disk so I can manually run amflush in the
> morning.
>
> I have used the following methods to ensure a full backup despite the tape
> size restriction:
>
> All my dump types have:
>
> priority high
> dumpcycle 0
>
> I execute the following before each archive set dump:
>
> amadmin archive force
> amadmin archive force-no-bump
>
> And finally, I have set:
>
> reserve 100

Here's your problem.  You are telling Amanda to reserve 100% of your
holdingdisk space for incremental backups, but since you are doing
just full backups  Amanda isn't using it.
   Try changing it to a small number or zero.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673