Amanda-Users

Re: selfcheck request timed out error

2004-02-25 16:00:44
Subject: Re: selfcheck request timed out error
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: jlm17 <jlm17 AT lucent DOT com>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 15:57:13 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 at 3:06pm, jlm17 wrote

> I commented out the only_from line from all three amanda services but it
> does not work.

The other thing to check is /etc/hosts.{allow,deny}.  I don't know Gentoo,
but on RedHat xinetd uses them.  Accepts or denies based on those files
should be logged in /var/log/secure.

> Note that I do not get any lines about removing amanda services.

Yes, but...

> > If you're not getting anything in /tmp/amanda, then amandad isn't even
> > starting up.  Is ipchains/iptables getting in the way?  What's the output
> > of 'netstat -ln | grep 10080'?
> >
> netstat -ln | grep 10080
> udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:10080           0.0.0.0:*

That means amanda is listening, so that part of xinetd is working right.

> As far as I know I do not have any iptables stuff turned on. I don't
> even have the iptables userland tools installed. I have turned it on in
> the kernel, though.

You can check what rules are set up with 'iptables -nL'.  I'd say the next
thing to do would be to look at the traffic.  Do 'tcpdump -i lo' and then
run amcheck and see what happens.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering