Amanda-Users

selfcheck request timed out error

2004-02-25 09:01:40
Subject: selfcheck request timed out error
From: jlm17 <jlm17 AT lucent DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 08:57:42 -0500
I am having problems getting amcheck to return happy:

sudo -u amanda amcheck -c fullbackup

Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
--------------------------------
WARNING: royal.inse.lucent.com: selfcheck request timed out.  Host down?
Client check: 1 host checked in 30.011 seconds, 1 problem found

(brought to you by Amanda 2.4.4)

royal is also the server.

I am following along with the tutorial at http://www.backupcentral.com/amanda-14.html

Here are the relevant lines from /etc/services:
amanda          10080/udp            # amanda backup services
kamanda         10081/tcp            # amanda backup services (Kerberos)
kamanda         10081/udp            # amanda backup services (Kerberos)
amandaidx       10082/tcp            # amanda backup services
amidxtape       10083/tcp            # amanda backup services

I ran the c program and obtained this output:

jlm17:royal:/tuxhome/jlm17 2309> ./a.out amanda udp
amanda/udp: 10080
jlm17:royal:/tuxhome/jlm17 2310> ./a.out amandaidx
amandaidx/tcp: 10082
jlm17:royal:/tuxhome/jlm17 2311> ./a.out amidxtape
amidxtape/tcp: 10083

Here is the /etc/xinetd.d/amanda file:

service amanda
{
        socket_type     = dgram
        protocol        = udp
        wait            = yes
        user            = amanda
        group           = amanda
        groups          = yes
        server          = /usr/libexec/amandad
        # You need to ensure this points to your Amanda server!
        # Don't just remove it!
        only_from           = royal
        disable         = no
}

service amandaidx
{
        socket_type     = stream
        protocol        = tcp
        wait            = no
        user            = amanda
        group           = amanda
        groups          = yes
        server          = /usr/libexec/amindexd
        # You need to ensure this points to your Amanda server!
        # Don't just remove it!
        only_from           = royal
        disable         = no
}

service amidxtape
{
        socket_type     = stream
        protocol        = tcp
        wait            = no
        user            = amanda
        group           = amanda
        groups          = yes
        server          = /usr/libexec/amidxtaped
        # You need to ensure this points to your Amanda server!
        # Don't just remove it!
        only_from           = royal
        disable         = no
}

There are no error messages from xinetd regarding amanda in /var/log/syslog.

There is nothing in /tmp. I'm not sure if my amanda configuration would use /tmp for anything. There is no amandad*debug file anywhere on the computer.

The access time on /usr/libexec/amandad is not being updated, but it doesn't change even when I run amandad by hand:
ls -lu /usr/libexec/amandad
-rwxr-xr-x 1 amanda amanda 12808 Feb 12 12:21 /usr/libexec/amandad*

Beyond what the document says to check, I have run smbclient //dd439/jlm17_westford password -U amanda and it connected just fine. Here is my disklist file:

royal.inse.lucent.com jlm17_westford //dd439/jlm17_westford fulldump

I have double checked my /etc/amandapass and it looks fine.

I am running Gentoo Linux 1.4rc4 on a Sun Ultra 2. Amanda version is 2.4.4. What should I check next?

Thanks.