Amanda-Users

Re: selfcheck request timed out error

2004-02-25 09:35:04
Subject: Re: selfcheck request timed out error
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: jlm17 <jlm17 AT lucent DOT com>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 09:32:08 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 at 8:57am, jlm17 wrote

> I am having problems getting amcheck to return happy:
>
> sudo -u amanda amcheck -c fullbackup
>
> Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
> --------------------------------
> WARNING: royal.inse.lucent.com: selfcheck request timed out.  Host down?
> Client check: 1 host checked in 30.011 seconds, 1 problem found

> Here is the /etc/xinetd.d/amanda file:
>
> service amanda
> {
>          socket_type     = dgram
>          protocol        = udp
>          wait            = yes
>          user            = amanda
>          group           = amanda
>          groups          = yes
>          server          = /usr/libexec/amandad
>          # You need to ensure this points to your Amanda server!
>          # Don't just remove it!
>          only_from           = royal
>          disable         = no
> }

Just to check, if you remove the only_from line, does it work?

> There are no error messages from xinetd regarding amanda in /var/log/syslog.

What does it way when you start it up?  On RedHat it'll tell you how many
services are available...

> There is nothing in /tmp. I'm not sure if my amanda configuration would
> use /tmp for anything. There is no amandad*debug file anywhere on the
> computer.

If you're not getting anything in /tmp/amanda, then amandad isn't even
starting up.  Is ipchains/iptables getting in the way?  What's the output
of 'netstat -ln | grep 10080'?

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering