Amanda-Users

Advice for setup large environment?

2004-02-24 17:55:55
Subject: Advice for setup large environment?
From: Michael D Schleif <mds AT helices DOT org>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 16:53:05 -0600
I have been successfully using Amanda for nearly a year on several small
LAN's.

Now, I want to setup Amanda in a larger network in a phased approach.

First, notice that I will be using backup hardware such as I have setup
and configured for Arcserve and BackupExec; but, not yet with Amanda.

[1] Hardware

    SuperDLT 1 tape drive
    Overland Loader Xpress autoloader

[2] Tapes and magazines

    Magazines hold ten (10) tapes
    One (1) cleaning tape per magazine
    Three (3) available magazines

[3] Startup configuration

    Initially, one (1) magazine and seven (7) tapes

[4] Future larger configuration

    Rotate all three (3) fully loaded magazines
    Amanda can put daily backups on one (1) tape
    Amanda must use all nine (9) tapes in a magazine *prior* to
       expecting another magazine

I am comfortable with installing Amanda in this environment, as well as
configurations such as holdingdisk, disklist, dumptypes, &c.

I am soliciting advice regarding areas such as these:

[A] dumpcycle
    runspercycle
    runtapes
    tapecycle
    &c.

[B] How do I setup the autoloader?
    Yes, I know that this is a FAQ, and I will be RTFM this week.  Are
    there any specific things that I ought to know/read, based on real
    life experiences of list members in similar environments?

[C] Once we prove this in the pilot, then we will want to use a barcode
    reader, which may not be available during pilot.

[D] How do I setup regular cleaning tape usage via Amanda?

[E] I am concerned about tape sequence.  We are starting with seven (7)
    tapes; but, will eventually move to twenty-seven (27).  If the
    order/sequence of tapes is not perfect, then Amanda will expect
    tapes in another magazine prior to using all seven in the current
    magazine.

What do you think?

--
Best Regards,