Amanda-Users

Re: Advice for setup large environment?

2004-02-25 07:23:42
Subject: Re: Advice for setup large environment?
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Michael D Schleif <mds AT helices DOT org>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 07:19:04 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 at 4:53pm, Michael D Schleif wrote

> [A] dumpcycle
>     runspercycle
>     runtapes
>     tapecycle
>     &c.

dumpcycle depends on how much data you have.  runspercycle depends on how
often you'll run amanda.  You said dailies could go on one tape, so
runtapes is 1.  And tapecycle is simply the number of tapes you have.

> [B] How do I setup the autoloader?
>     Yes, I know that this is a FAQ, and I will be RTFM this week.  Are
>     there any specific things that I ought to know/read, based on real
>     life experiences of list members in similar environments?

Read docs/TAPE.CHANGERS.  I use chg-zd-mtx with an Overland Library Pro.
Setting it up was dead simply -- just follow the instructions in the
chg-zd-mtx script itself.

> [C] Once we prove this in the pilot, then we will want to use a barcode
>     reader, which may not be available during pilot.

This works just fine.

> [D] How do I setup regular cleaning tape usage via Amanda?

This is documented in the chg-zd-mtx script.  Personally, I just let the
library handle it.

> [E] I am concerned about tape sequence.  We are starting with seven (7)
>     tapes; but, will eventually move to twenty-seven (27).  If the
>     order/sequence of tapes is not perfect, then Amanda will expect
>     tapes in another magazine prior to using all seven in the current
>     magazine.

When you're ready to expand tapecycle, start adding tapes only when amanda
expects the first tape of the current tapecycle.  I.e. if you have
Daily1-7, expand tapecycle the day after Daily7 gets used.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering