Amanda-Users

taper error on Solaris 8 (solved)

2004-02-17 15:29:20
Subject: taper error on Solaris 8 (solved)
From: Marc Langlois <marc AT keyseismic DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: 17 Feb 2004 13:24:56 -0700
In case anyone else has this problem:

I've installed amanda 2.4.4p2 on Solaris 8 (patch level
Generic_108528-27), to do daily backups to virtual tapes on disk (file:
driver). amcheck doesn't report any errors, but I kept getting an error
from taper when doing a backup with amdump:

FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
   taper: FATAL cannot allocate shared memory
   snsrv1     /u1/jobs lev 0 FAILED [can't switch to incremental dump]
<snip...>

 NOTES:
   planner: Adding new disk snsrv1:/u1/jobs.
   taper: attach_buffers: (20 tapebufs: 663792 bytes) No space left on device
   taper: attach_buffers: (19 tapebufs: 631012 bytes) No space left on device

<snip: looped from 20 down to 1...>

   taper: attach_buffers: (1 tapebuf: 40972 bytes) No space left on device
   driver: taper exited with code 1

There was a lot of memory/swap space available when amdump died.

After looking at the source in taper.c, I saw that the error message was
generated by a failed call to shmget(). As a guess, I re-ran configure
with the "--use-mmap" flag, re-compiled, and now amdump is working fine.

Has anyone seen this error on Solaris, or any other OS?  Is this a known
problem (couldn't find it on the FAQ-O-Matic)?

Thanks,
Marc Langlois.