Amanda-Users

write error did not prompt amflush (files left in holding disk without warning)

2004-02-17 20:55:31
Subject: write error did not prompt amflush (files left in holding disk without warning)
From: Matthias Andree <ma AT dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund DOT de>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 02:50:26 +0100
Hi,

I've recently seen Amanda fail to write a dump to tape fully (write
error), but I wasn't prompted to run amflush to flush the remaining
files to tape, I usually am when there is data in the holding disk.

I'm not sure how this could happen, and this dump had several special
conditions. Anyways, I have configured amanda to flush the leftover
files at the next run. So she did, and hence there was way too much data
for a tape and it failed again.
>2.5 GB in the holding disk and the tape manages about 3.2 GB).

I am attaching the notification mails in order, host names have been
normalized and uninteresting gtar complaints ("socket ignored") omitted.

The interesting questions:

1. why did not amanda prompt me to run amflush on the first run, if
   there was a tape write error?

2. why did not amanda massively bump to higher dump levels when there
   was a file in the holding disk that had to be flushed first?
   Because someone forgot to write the necessary code? :-)

Ultimately, a manual amflush run cleared everything up but I am under
the impression amanda should have asked me at the first dump to run
amflush. There has been a window of two days and the backed up file
system and the holding disk are from/on the same host. (I might not have
cared even half as much if the holding disk were in a different host.)

TIA,

--
Matthias Andree