Amanda-Users

finding device problem

2004-02-17 11:49:52
Subject: finding device problem
From: "Iulian Topliceanu" <iulian.topliceanu AT net-m DOT de>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 17:46:05 +0100 (CET)
Hi,

I have a Dell PowerVault 120T DLT1 Autoloader connected to a Dell
PowerEdge 2650 running RedHat 9 via an Adaptec SCSI Card 39160. When
entering the SCSI Cards bios and using some diskutility tools my SCSI Card
has, I get this message: This device is not a Disk Drive. (Till now, I
don't think this should be a problem because the SCSI Card recognises my
PoverVault corectly)

But, when trying to label a tape I get the following error:

[root@amanda root]# amlabel DailySet1 DailySet1-01
rewinding
amlabel: tape_rewind: rewinding tape: /dev/sg2: Operation not permitted

I read some posts related to my problem but the solution did not work for me.

- http://www.linuxchix.org/pipermail/techtalk/2002-September/012922.html
- http://www.linuxchix.org/pipermail/techtalk/2002-September/012965.html

I've tried to use /dev/nst0-9 /dev/st0-9 but when trying to label a tape I
still get:

[root@amanda root]# amlabel DailySet1 DailySet1-01
rewinding
amlabel: tape_rewind: tape open: /dev/st0: No such file or directory

I will give you some details about my configuration, maybe I've missed
something:

My dmesg looks like:

scsi1 : Adaptec AIC7XXX EISA/VLB/PCI SCSI HBA DRIVER, Rev 6.2.8
        <Adaptec 3960D Ultra160 SCSI adapter>
        aic7899: Ultra160 Wide Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 32/253 SCBs

scsi2 : Adaptec AIC7XXX EISA/VLB/PCI SCSI HBA DRIVER, Rev 6.2.8
        <Adaptec 3960D Ultra160 SCSI adapter>
        aic7899: Ultra160 Wide Channel B, SCSI Id=7, 32/253 SCBs

blk: queue f7fc2618, I/O limit 4095Mb (mask 0xffffffff)
  Vendor: ADIC      Model: FastStor DLT      Rev: D118
  Type:   Medium Changer                     ANSI SCSI revision: 02
blk: queue f7fc2418, I/O limit 4095Mb (mask 0xffffffff)
Journalled Block Device driver loaded

(shouldn't I get some further information? Like a device or something?)

[root@amanda DailySet1]# cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: DELL     Model: PERCRAID Stripe  Rev: V1.0
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
  Vendor: DELL     Model: PERCRAID Stripe  Rev: V1.0
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
  Vendor: ADIC     Model: FastStor DLT     Rev: D118
  Type:   Medium Changer                   ANSI SCSI revision: 02

(That's why I've used /dev/sg2 )

[root@amanda DailySet1]# mtx status
  Storage Changer /dev/changer:1 Drives, 7 Slots ( 0 Import/Export )
Data Transfer Element 0:Full (Storage Element 2 Loaded)
      Storage Element 1:Full
      Storage Element 2:Empty
      Storage Element 3:Empty
      Storage Element 4:Empty
      Storage Element 5:Empty
      Storage Element 6:Empty
      Storage Element 7:Empty

1 slot is ocupied and 1 tape is loaded.

[root@amanda DailySet1]# mtx inquiry
Product Type: Medium Changer
Vendor ID: 'ADIC    '
Product ID: 'FastStor DLT    '
Revision: 'D118'
Attached Changer: No

Where do you thing my problem is? Should I provide you further
information? Is the RedHat 9 support for my tape device wrong? Are the
tapes I'm using (DLT tapes) not working properly?

Regards,
Iulian Topliceanu