Amanda-Users

Re: finding device problem

2004-02-17 12:31:29
Subject: Re: finding device problem
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Iulian Topliceanu <iulian.topliceanu AT net-m DOT de>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 12:29:28 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 at 5:46pm, Iulian Topliceanu wrote

> [root@amanda root]# amlabel DailySet1 DailySet1-01
> rewinding
> amlabel: tape_rewind: rewinding tape: /dev/sg2: Operation not permitted

You can't do tape operations on a generic device, so this error is
expected.

> I've tried to use /dev/nst0-9 /dev/st0-9 but when trying to label a tape I
> still get:
>
> [root@amanda root]# amlabel DailySet1 DailySet1-01
> rewinding
> amlabel: tape_rewind: tape open: /dev/st0: No such file or directory

To be clear, you definitely should be using /dev/nst0.  But there's no
device there, because...

> [root@amanda DailySet1]# cat /proc/scsi/scsi
> Attached devices:
> Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
>   Vendor: DELL     Model: PERCRAID Stripe  Rev: V1.0
>   Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
>   Vendor: DELL     Model: PERCRAID Stripe  Rev: V1.0
>   Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
>   Vendor: ADIC     Model: FastStor DLT     Rev: D118
>   Type:   Medium Changer                   ANSI SCSI revision: 02
>
> (That's why I've used /dev/sg2 )

...your tape drive isn't being recognized.  There should be another host
there labeled "Type: Sequential-Access". How is your changer set up?  Does
the tape drive have it's own ID, or is it on a separate LUN on the same ID
as the changer?  I'm guessing that's the problem, because the default
RedHat kernel doesn't scan all the LUNs of SCSI devices.  If that's the
case, you'll need to compile a new kernel, and set CONFIG_SCSI_MULTI_LUN
to Y.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering