Amanda-Users

Re: incremental backup[clean scan]

2004-02-17 09:36:45
Subject: Re: incremental backup[clean scan]
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Arif Ali <aali AT ocf.co DOT uk>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 09:34:37 -0500 (EST)
Please keep all responses on the list.

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 at 2:23pm, Arif Ali wrote

> ok, let's say i wanted a full backup on Saturday and incrementals on
> mon-fri how will that work out. plus occasionally I want to back-up the
> system manually by doing amdump <config> after . Then the following
>
> dumpcycle= 1 week
> runspercycle=6
>
> will only allow me to do 6 amdumps, or will I be able to do more?

This is a FAQ, and well documented in the list archives.  Amanda sets its
own schedule for fulls and incrementals within the boundaries you set with
dumpcycle, runspercycle, and runtapes.  Amanda will allow you to do more
than your runspercycle, but may get a bit confused with multiple runs per
day.  ISTR that this is being addressed in the most recent snapshots.

> I have 6 100GB disks and need to backup 500GB, how do we go about doing
> this?

This is confusing.  Are the 6 100GB disks your backup medium?   And the
500GB is elsewhere.  If so, then this is the usual FAQ about disks bigger
than backup media, and the answer (again in the archives) is that you
create multiple disklist entries, which amanda then distributes over the
backup media.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering