Amanda-Users

Re: Backups that don't fit on the tape....

2004-02-12 06:34:17
Subject: Re: Backups that don't fit on the tape....
From: Mike Brodbelt <m.brodbelt AT acu.ac DOT uk>
To: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 11:31:13 +0000
Paul Bijnens wrote:

> It would be nice if you showed a few lines further in the report
> where the drive bumped into end of tape. IN the Notes secion you see
> something like:
>
> NOTES: taper: tape ARCHIVE-079 kb 33504128 fm 31 writing file: No
> space left on device taper: tape ARCHIVE-080 kb 34156192 fm 20
> writing file: No space left on device

Not getting anything that explicit :-

taper: tape ACU-STD-2 kb 23940992 fm 16 writing file: Input/output error
driver: going into degraded mode because of tape error.

This is from Amanda version 2.4.2p2 (Debian package for Woody), so I'm a
little behind the times.

> (From my report, writing on "35 Gbyte AIT-1 tapes"). It shows my
> tapes are not really 35 Gbyte the 35 Gbyte is usually measured in
> marketing terms where K=1000 and M=1000*1000 and G=1000*1000*1000.
> Amanda uses the K=1024, M=1024*1024, G=1024*1024*1024.

Yes, I suspected the marketroids would have got at the capacity
declaration. Even so, assuming the tape held 35,000,000,000 bytes,
the total size for the run is 31855.4 MB, which works out at about
33,402,807,910 bytes.

> If you hit consistently into eot at about 70-80% of the normal
> capacity, I strongly believe you still have compression enabled.

I used to run with compression enabled. To turn it off, I turned it off
on the drive, then did a dd if=/dex/zero of=/dev/st0 to rewrite about
the first 30Megs of tape with zeros, then re-labeled. Doing mt -f
/dev/st0 datcompression shows it as disabled, and still shows it as
disabled after the backups had finished. If I forgot to re-write the
tape header it'd flip back over to compression on, but I really think
it's off on all the tapes now.

> Running amtapetype takes about 5 hours if you, give it a realistic
> estimated tapesize:
>
> amtapetype -e 35g
>
> (and amtapetype will tell you too, if you still have compression
> enabled).

Might be wise to try that. At the moment, things are unreliable because
Amanda thinks a run will fit on the tape, but when it actually comes
down to it it doesn't. I can live with having to re-organise my backups
and not doing level 0's of everything the same night, but I'd like
reliability on the backups I am doing...

Mike.